Bahraini vegetable sauce
An excellent vegetarian dish enriched with spices of the Arabian Peninsula. Spicy and aromatic, easy to prepare.
- As for vegetables there are no rules, so add what you have in the fridge. In the original recipe, potatoes, balancana and butternut squash are added. I’m without potatoes because I was served with rice.
- If you can't find Baharat spice then add the following (in addition to the spices already mentioned): 1/2 teaspoon cardamom 1 teaspoon cumin (be careful not to confuse with cumin) 1/3 teaspoon cloves 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon pimento
- In a large pot, add oil and butter, wait for the butter to melt and then add all the spices, chopped onion and garlic. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes, concentrate, grated lemon zest and sugar and continue to cook until the sauce thickens.
- Towards the end of cooking, add coriander leaves and lemon juice. Stir well. You can make it a little thicker and serve it as a side dish with meat, or a little more liquid on a spoon as a main dish.