Quiche with ajvar and cheese
Quiche is an ideal snack to gather the whole family around the table. You can put everything you can get your hands on or whatever you find in the fridge. This one of ours contains bacon, leeks, eggs, cheese, sweet cream and a couple of full spoons of ajvar! Play with the ingredients to your liking, but be sure to add ajvar and discover a new dimension of this French classic in a homely way.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Knead a crispy dough by mixing both types of flour and salt in a bowl. Add the cold, diced butter and grind it into flour with your fingers, then add the egg yolks and water and knead the dough.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in cling film and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Wash the leeks, dry them and cut them into thin rings. Cut the bacon into smaller cubes. In a preheated pan, fry the bacon until white and release the fat. Then immediately add the leeks, olive oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of thyme and fry while stirring for 4-5 minutes, until the leeks are slightly soft. Extinguish the fire and allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sweet cream, egg yolks and egg. Add grated cheese, three full spoons of ajvar, a little salt and pepper and mix everything well once again.
- Place the cooled dough on baking paper, cover it with a transparent foil (in which it rested) and roll it out thinly. Using baking paper, transfer to a quiche baking tin.
- Cut off the excess dough and prick the dough with a fork.
- Place the leek and bacon filling on the prepared dough and pour the liquid filling with ajvar over it.
- Place the oven in a preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180 ° C and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes, or until the surface is nicely browned.
Remove the baked quiche from the oven, let it cool for at least 10-15 minutes, then cut it into slices and serve.
You can also make a crispy dough the day before and store it in the fridge, but be sure to take it out of the fridge at least 90 minutes before use to make it easier to roll out.