A popular Japanese dish used by sumo wrestlers to gain weight, it is extremely healthy and nutritious if consumed in normal amounts.
- Meat balls
- Mix minced chicken breast with finely chopped spring onions, egg, bread crumbs and grated ginger (a 2 cm cube is enough for 500 g of meat). Add salt as desired. You will get a very sticky mixture if you use a chopper or blender. You can form the dumplings using an ordinary spoon or ice cream spoon.
- Put 4 chicken cubes in 2 liters of boiling water (or use chicken stock). You can use whatever foundation you want (traditionally fish stock is used).
- Add soy sauce, mirin (sweet rice wine) and rice vinegar to the stock. If you don’t have mirin or rice vinegar, you can just add plain alcoholic vinegar. Try the taste and add more as desired.
- Form meatballs and as you form them, put them in a hot stock.
- Add sliced mushrooms and carrots.
- After a few minutes, add sliced cabbage and chopped spring onions.
- Towards the end you can add tofu. The soup / stew cooks for a total of about 60 minutes.