Bulgarian-style cheese burek
Here I am again with burek: D This time the recipe comes from Bulgaria. And I have nothing else to add but prepare and enjoy the taste, this burek is phenomenal and quite different from the classic burek both in taste and texture! Worked for dinner today so I can share it with you right away! Mljac!
- You can choose semi-hard cheese of your choice, mainly to melt it! Feta can be plain and if you find Bulgarian "feta" then even better, their cheese is much saltier and more compact which is otherwise added to this recipe, but plain Greek feta is a great substitute. Do not omit baking soda as it helps the burek to grow.
- In a larger bowl, add yogurt, milk, eggs and baking soda and mix well.
- Grate the cheese and crumble the feta with a fork. Add to the bowl with the yogurt and eggs and add more melted butter and semolina. Stir. DO NOT salt because the cheeses are salty enough.
- Put two pieces of dough on the bottom of a suitable bowl that you have well coated with butter or oil, sprinkle a little oil on the first one and only then add the second one. If the dough is too big for the bowl then just fold the pieces protruding towards the middle and push them a little.
- Coat with the cheese mixture in a thin layer, cover with a piece of dough and coat and add the dough again and then the third layer of the mixture and the dough again. So three layers with cheese.
- Finally, beat one egg with mineral water. Slowly and carefully cut the burek with a sharp knife into larger pieces. This procedure is important for fluid to enter the cracks. Drizzle with egg and mineral. Finally sprinkle with more cheese.
- Put the oven at 200 C for about 35-40 min. Check periodically during baking, when the cheese is slightly browned then cover with foil, make sure the baking bowl must be deep because the burek will rise, so when you put the foil over it it does not touch the burek.
- When ready to take out, sprinkle with half a cup of plain cold water and cover with foil to rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut after 15-20 minutes. You can along the lines where you cut before baking and you can also cut into smaller pieces.