Brioche (with Tangzhong starter and coconut milk)
Phenomenal brioche, in my case in the shape of bread, ... so soft and delicious :)
- Tangzhong starter:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water. Put on a low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens ... you must get a mixture as thick as honey or if you have a thermometer, when the temperature of the starter reaches 65 ° C, immediately remove it from the heat. Cover the surface of the mixture with plastic wrap and allow to cool to room temperature. If you are not going to use it right away, at this stage put it in the fridge right away for a few hours or overnight. Before use, remove from the refrigerator to warm to room temperature. (It can stay in the fridge for up to two days, if its color has changed, throw it away;))
- Brioche dough:
- For brioches, it would be desirable to have a table mixer, but even if you don't have one (I don't have anything terrible), put spiral extensions on that handheld and it will serve. Put the starter, coconut milk, sugar and salt in a bowl. Mix until the mixture is combined and add the flour and yeast. Stir on medium speed until all is well combined. when combined mix for another 2 minutes. Slowly add the butter piece by piece and continue to stir on medium speed for about 4 minutes, being careful to scrape the edges of the bowl as well (butter can be glued to the side). The dough will look like butter, slightly sticky and not very connected..that's how it should be;)
- With a plastic spoon (spatula), place the dough in the middle of the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 45 minutes (it must not be too hot or too cold).
- After 45 minutes, gently stir the dough with a spatula, place it in the middle of the bowl and cover again with pl. foil and leave to rest in the fridge overnight ... must rest for at least 6 hours ... at most 18 hours. It's better to be in the fridge for as long as possible, so 6pm would be best (it was in the fridge for 15 hours).
- After this period the dough should be twice as big, very cold and hard. Slightly move it again with a spatula. Grease a mold with a diameter of 10x20cm (maybe smaller, it was a bit big for me) ... move the dough into the mold, spread it slightly with your hands to cover the bottom of the whole mold, cover the mold pl. foil and leave it at room temperature for 2 hours.
- During this period, while the dough is rising, one and a half hours before it rises (that is, after 1.5 hours of rising), turn on the oven at 200 ° C ... the oven must be very hot before baking.
- When the dough has risen (after 2 hours) remove the foil from the mold and place in the oven at 200 ° C for 10 minutes ... after 10 minutes reduce the oven to 180 ° C and bake for another 15-20 minutes (I baked for another 17 minutes and I was left very bright because my oven is weak .... so after these 15 minutes of baking watch out you may need another 5 minutes and maybe that will be enough for you ... it must catch the golden brown color on the surface of the bread).
- Remove the baked bread from the mold and allow to cool completely. It can be eaten alone (it is very tasty) ... or spread with jam or nutella;)
- You don't have to make this dough in the shape of bread ... it can also be made in the shape of Brioche .... here at Rummy you have a nice explanation of how to make the shape of brioche :)