Bregovska pita / version 2
I love it, what can I tell you? Intoxicating poppy seeds, crunchy walnuts, sweet apples, fragrant carob and delicate vanilla are intertwined… traditional ingredients in a fancy look :-)
- ‘Cut’ the crusts according to the baking sheet you are using (bigger, deeper).
- For the apple filling, sauté the grated apples briefly with lemon juice, cinnamon and rum. Stir in the cooled sugar, carob and biscuit crumbs.
- For the poppy and walnut fillings, mix all the ingredients.
- Coat the tin with oil, lay the first crust, brush it with milk, put the second crust, coat it with milk and fill in the following order (between each filling there are 2 crusts, each is coated with milk, while the fillings are sprayed with oil): poppy seeds, apples and carob, walnuts. The last 2 crusts are also. Sprinkle them profusely with oil.
- Put the pie in a preheated oven at 180 * C, bake for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the pudding and sugar in the milk, stir in the hot whipped cream with the egg and spread over the half-baked pie, return to the oven and bake until done.
- Tip I used real biscuit crumbs with butter-vanilla and butter aroma, according to the recipe. But I found here that you can also use crumbled / ground biscuits - I would recommend some quality ones with vanilla flavor, or any other more flavored biscuit-type biscuits or tea rings in combination with wafers (filled with vanilla, for example).