Beetroot, cheese and poppy seed strudel
Savijače, as well as štruklji, are a traditional dish of northwestern Croatia. The most famous are the ones with cheese (although they are also stuffed with various other excellent fillings, of which this one is just one).
- Add salt to the beets, let them stand for a while and drain.
- Saute the drained beets in heated oil, cool it and mix in the cheese, poppy seeds that you have previously ground and 70 g of sugar.
- Sprinkle a sheet of strudel dough with melted butter, put another sheet of dough and a part of the prepared stuffing. Fold the strudel, and repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling in the same way.
- Place the prepared strudels in a greased tin, coat them with a mixture of cream, eggs and remaining sugar.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180 to 200 ° C for about 30 minutes.
When the strudels are baked, cover them with a linen cloth, leave for 5 minutes, then add sugar and serve.
You can use pumpkin instead of beets for stuffing.