Barley or buckwheat with vegetables
my Ivana blue
- Barley: Rinse the barley porridge in a strainer under a stream of cold water and cook for 35-40 minutes in salted boiling water (the measure is 3 cups of water per 1 cup of barley). The barley is not cooked to the end because it will be additionally cooked when the dish is finished. Drain.
- Buckwheat: Rinse the buckwheat porridge also in a strainer and put it to boil in boiling water (the measure is 2 cups of water per 1 cup of buckwheat). Cook for about 7 minutes on medium heat without overlapping. Buckwheat is not cooked to the end because it will be additionally cooked when the dish is finished. Drain.
- Saute finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil. When the onions are glazed, add the diced red horn peppers (or red and green beans). Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Then add the bacon cubes, and when the bacon becomes transparent, add the zucchini. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 4 parts and crosswise into thin pieces, sauté for a few minutes and then pour in boiling water. Add half the chicken cubes, a little mild ajvar and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add cooked barley or buckwheat and cook for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The dish should be juicy, neither liquid nor too dry. Serve as a side dish with roasted meat.
- Root vegetables can be added to the dish, which is stewed together with onions and peppers. You can add smoked sausage, increase the amount of water and you will get a very tasty stew.
- Dear Vsevem's recommendation: "I often make buckwheat with vegetables, but I simplify it. I never cook it before, but buckwheat, just washed, I add it to a little fried vegetable (I put what I have on hand ...) and then I continue to make it as a risotto. It means occasionally adding water until the buckwheat is cooked. And I always make a little more, and then I add vinegar, pumpkin or olive oil, salt and pepper to the cold and make it as a salad. "