Apple puree (Apfelmus)
Another old recipe… very simple, easy and fine…
- Peel an apple, grate it and squeeze the juice.
- Cut them into cubes, add sugar, water and lemon juice, and cook on low heat on the stove until they turn into porridge. Beat them with a stick mixer or mashed potato masher, and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the liquid evaporates. This is the basic recipe for aphelmus and you can use it prepared in this way to prepare spicy sauces with meat and game.
- If you want to use it to prepare desserts or as a stand-alone fruit spread, add a little more sugar and vanilla sugar to taste to the apples. After pureing, you can also puree 50-100 g of raisins. Season the cooked apfelmus with a little cinnamon if desired.
- Pour the hot water into hot jars with screw caps. Close the jars, and turn them for 5-10 minutes to stand on the lid to create a vacuum in the jar.
- Store in a cool place (preferably in the refrigerator). Since the preparation of apfelmus is very simple, you do not need to cook large quantities because I am not sure about the shelf life.
The application of apfelmus is very diverse. You can use it as a filling for the preparation of various desserts, as an addition to fruit and oatmeal, with cooked rice in milk or as a stand-alone spread. It is also used in the preparation of spicy sweet and sour sauces for meat and game. Everything is left to your imagination :)