A cake of old bread
The recipe is from Ana Ugarkovic with my addition of vanilla topping. Instead of old bread you can use panettone, pinca, croissants or brioche ...
- Coat the refractory or ceramic dish well with butter. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the bread (preferably 1-2 days old) into thin slices, and spread butter and apricot jam on each piece of bread. Arrange the bread spread in this way in a prepared ceramic or refractory dish. Just like in the picture. Sprinkle with bites or cranberries. Instead of bread he can use pinca, panettone, brioche, croissants. You also don't have to coat every piece of bread with jam, you can just put the jam on the bottom of a fireproof dish and then cut bread or some pastry into cubes.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar. My advice to you is to increase the amount of sugar. I put about 80g of sugar and 2 vanilla sugars. Well, add milk, sweet cream and liqueur. I put on Grand Marnier, so I got a nice orange flavor in the cake.
- Pour this mixture over the bread ... leave for 10-15 minutes for the bread to absorb the liquid. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar if desired.
- After 10-15 minutes, the bread will absorb the liquid nicely. Prepare a larger deep baking tray and place a ceramic or refractory dish with toasted bread in it. Put everything in the oven, then pour hot water into a deeper pan to about half of the bowl with the bread. This way you will get steam cooking / baking. Bake the cake like this for about 40 minutes.
- When the cake is baked, coat it with jam that you have previously heated with a little water or lemon juice.
- When the cake cools, serve it with vanilla topping or simply sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
- Topping: Put milk, sugar, butter and a teaspoon of vanilla on low heat to warm. Melt the flour in a little milk, as when making pudding, then mix it into the milk and cook everything lightly to the desired density. If the topping is thick, just add a little milk, the topping must be liquid.
- If you wish, you can also add whipped sweet cream with vanilla sugar, just for decoration, and thus get a wonderful dessert. The topping and whipped sweet cream are my addition, so you can and don’t have to do it. Enjoy ....